Tuesday, May 1

It can only get better from here, right?

It has been one heck of a morning. First, let me tell you that I started out the day with a Benadryl hangover. Do y'all know what that feels like? My allergies are bad, so I've been taking them the past couple of night. About thirty seconds after Louie walked out the front door this morning, Gus - who has just found his nostrils and sticks his fingers in his own frequently - stuck his finger straight up my nose. Now, I've already told you that I was a little slow this morning. Well, I am also blind as a bat and didn't have my contacts in or my glasses on. I didn't even see it coming. Next thing I know, blood is pouring out of my nose. I ran to the door and flagged Louie down to come back inside, all the while accumulating a puddle of blood at my feet. Gross, I know. Sorry.

Got that all cleaned up, put my contacts in, had a Diet Coke AND a cup of coffee, and got started on breakfast. Now, to understand the gravity of the situation, you need to know that feeding my children on a daily basis is essentially the bane of my existence as a mother. Catalina is a typical three-year-old...loves something one day, hates it the next. There's never any telling what she will actually eat. Gus is also finicky, so it's really difficult for me to decide what to cook for them. The eating-part, which lasts about 45 minutes, is very enjoyable. It's the planning and preparing that I hate.

Okay, back to my morning. I decided on something, got it cooked, and Catalina refused to come to the table. While I was bickering with her, I realized that the sprinklers were about to come on in the back yard and I needed to get the dogs inside. Doc-dog came when I called, but Murphy was nowhere to be found. That's because he apparently spent the entire morning digging a hole under our fence and was now running around in the neighbors' back yard. Ugh.

Since I hadn't even gotten the food on the table at that point, I gave the kids a few Gerber stars to occupy them. Went outside with an irresistible treat (a raw hide) to lure Murphy back under the fence into our yard. That sneaky, little devil snatched the treat out of my hand before I could say "DOG POUND!" and went back under the fence to the far corner of the yard to enjoy his loot. I was getting pretty upset at this point and tearing up. Catalina thought I was mad at her, so she started to cry and came to the table so I wouldn't be mad anymore. Got her calmed down, grabbed the treat-of-all-treats (peanut butter) and went back outside. No sooner had I laid down on the ground to get his attention, and the sprinklers went off. It felt like it was happening in slow motion...I heard the sound of the water spraying...I pulled myself up...and got sprayed RIGHT IN THE FACE. This might not sound that bad to you, but the cumulative effect of it all was too much for me to bear and I called Louie sobbing and sobbing. He felt sorry for me, but, as you can imagine, it was impossible not to laugh.

By the time I managed to get Murphy back in our yard (the pb worked), I was honestly ready to ring his neck. Finally got the kids fed and put Gus down for a nap. I'm still not speaking to Murphy, but other than that, we're back to our usual, more manageable level of household chaos.

I took some pictures because I just knew that no one but Louie would believe the part about the sprinkler getting me right in the face. See below...there's conveniently a sprinkler head right beside Murphy's escape route.

IMGA0317

Please note the dirty paws and guilty expression.

IMGA0294

My little sweeties enjoying their breakfast...finally!

IMGA0315

IMGA0313

Here's hoping your morning was better than mine and that the rest of the day is good, too! Love y'all!

6 comments:

Mellie said...

Well written! I could imagine every bit of it. I know how you feel when you're so horrified at the situation, but if you weren't the one in it, you'd be laughing at it. Been there, done that. Glad to hear your day got better. Hope you're feeling better.

Valerie said...

Awww... I definitely feel for you! Although, I did have to admit to a chuckle or two...and showing the pictures to my roommate who was wondering why I was smiling. =)

Ashley said...

HE HE HE HE!!! If I only had a published book of all the crazy things that can happen on one simple little morning... I LOVE IT!

HollyGee said...

I definitely got a good chuckle from this post. And then seeing the picture of your dog made me really laugh out loud. I'm sorry you had such a bad day, though, I would have been crying if it happened to me, too.

Kara Oosterhous said...

Oh Abigail! That is probably only the first of many crazy mornings your future will hold! I can only imagine the scene. Two days from now you will see the humor in it all! I must say... I can totally relate! Love ya!

Dawn said...

And that's the stuff memories are made of. :) Thanks for the smile this morning!
dawnz:)