Okay, so let me set the scene for you...
It's 6:30 p.m. Louie hasn't left the office yet. I'm running really late with dinner, but it's in process. The neighbors have been loading a moving van all day long, which means that the dogs are anxious and have been barking all day long. It also means that neither of my children was able to take a decent nap. Ever since "cartoons dije [said] goodnight" at 6:00, my daughter has been complaining in one- and two-word sentences, such as, "hungry," "thirsty," "sleepy," "stummy's hurtin'" (stomach + tummy = stummy, by the way).
Next thing I know, Cati is screaming and crying and vomiting all over the dining room floor. I mean, even as an adult, I do not enjoy nausea and/or vomiting. I can only imagine how it feels for a four-year-old. She was frantic, looking at me like, "What is this? Please make it stop!," all the while sreaming bloody murder.
So, in a matter of minutes, the scene has changed to this (not exaggerating one bit!)...
Dinner is burning on the stove. Vomit is all over the floor and all over my beautiful, screaming daughter. Dogs are barking at my screaming daughter. Baby boy is wobbly-walking right toward the puddle of vomit, which the dogs are now (I'm sorry to say!) licking up. Husband is now speeding home from the office (it's a 30 minute drive).
Isn't that how it always happens??
Thankfully, our neighbors right across the street have two wonderful, reliable daughters that are amazing babysitters. I called their mom - I can only imagine how it sounded on her end with Cati and Gus both crying at that point and the dogs barking in the background - and by the time we hung up, I had a babysitter knocking on my front door. She watched Gus while I got Cati, the floor, and the dogs cleaned up.
Within 20 minutes, Cati was laughing at cartoons and telling us over and over how hungry she was. Apparently, kids throw up here and there for no apparent reason. I guess it's good that we got the first time out of the way.
She seems just fine this morning, but we're taking it easy, just in case.
Wednesday, August 8
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
As the mother of a 5-yr-old who seems to have vomited at least once a week for his entire life, I can truly empathize! Sounds like Cati is lucky to have a mom who can react, and not overreact, quickly. I should send you some good dinner recipes that you can make quickly in the oven or crockpot! (Yes, I, too, once thought the crockpot was just for my grandmother! Ha)
Post a Comment