Thursday, September 20

Gussy's new tricks

Gus's first word was "Mama." His second word was "Doc." Then, he said "baba" and "Papa." Then, he started to repeat all sorts of words, but they don't sound nearly the same when he says them. It's mostly the number of syllables that he tries to repeat and the inflection of your voice. Most words end up sounding a lot like "Gabba, gabba, babba, gabba."

But, one day last week, I was skipping around with Gus pretending to be a horsie and I said "Giddy-up, giddy-up, yee-hah," to which he promptly responded "Eee-kah!" Ever since, he has said his version of "yee-hah" lots of times. And, two days ago, out of the blue, without being prompted, he said "Cati!" Cati and I both started screaming and asking him to repeat it. He said it over and over again "Caaa-tee! Caaa-tee! Caaa-tee!" Catalina is so excited, she has been wanting to call everyone we know to tell them that Baby Gus said her name.

It is so much fun watching him and his sister learn new things. Yesterday, he spent the entire day practicing climbing down from the little step stool in front of the rocker in his room. He usually does it holding onto the chair or someone's hand, but it was like he woke up in the morning and decided, "I want to learn to do it myself!" He started out falling on his face, but, as you know, practice makes perfect. Watch the little video below for his perfect little step down (over and over again), as well as "Eee-kah," "Caa-tee," waving "Bye-bye," his version of jumping, and Cati's forward roll. It's about four minutes of the sweetest stuff I've ever seen!

4 comments:

Mellie said...

Your video is precious. I can't believe how much Cati's English has improved. I could understand everything she said, it's so much clearer than when I saw you guys a while back. And it wasn't Spanglish either. That's so awesome. Gus is growing so quick and his words sound perfect for his first words. Thanks for the extra dynamic with video now! I love all this technology.

Mellie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Happy Birthday to US Abby!
I hope you have a great day with the kids.
We have the best birthday ever! I hope its as nice a weather there as it is here in Memphis!

Unknown said...

What a precious video! And Abby, you are such a sweet mom - lucky kids!