[Background on the conversation I'm about to relay to you: We have not told Catalina about her and Gussy's baby brother, Max, yet. Now, the girl is as sharp as a tack, so it would surprise me if she hasn't picked up on it a little bit from overhearing my conversations about him. And, it's a miracle that she hasn't asked me why we have five stockings hanging instead of four (just people) or six (including doggies). A little while back, Cati was watching a cartoon in which there was a kid named Max. She told me, "I love Max." I staggered, thinking for a split second she was talking about Arturo Maximiliano. Then, I realized she was talking about the kid in the cartoon. Then she said, "He's not the same one as Max from 'Max & Ruby,'" which is another cartoon that we watch sometimes. She said, "He's a different Max." I thought I'd take a chance and make my first mention of the possibility of another baby in our family. I said, "I like the name 'Max.' Do you?" She said, "Yes, I love it. It's my favorite name." And I said, "Oh, that's nice. Then, maybe if someday we have another baby brother in our family, we can name him 'Max' since you like that name so much." She said, "Yes, but not 'Max & Ruby'...a different Max."]
So, this morning, Catalina was sitting on the playroom floor while I turned on the computer for her to play. Out of the blue she asked, "Mama, is a different Max in another mami's stummy?" I was so confused and really didn't understand what she said, so I asked her to repeat it. She said, "Is a different Max in somebobby's stummy?" I said, still not understanding her, "Are you talking about a mat, like a placemat?" Duh.
Cati: NOOOOO, a different Max. Not like "Max & Ruby." A different Max.
Me: Ohhhhhh, a different MAX (tearing up because it caught me offguard and I just thought it was so sweet that she was thinking about him, or the possibility of him).
Cati: Yes, is he in somebobby else's stummy now?
Me: (staggering again because I didn't know what to say) Yes, I think so.
Cati: Okay, but we need to have both of them.
Me: Both of who? Both Maxes?
Cati: No, Mama, both brothers. Gussy AND Max. Not just Gussy and not just Max.
Me: (full-on crying at this point) Yes, Gussy will always be with us. If we get a new baby brother, we'll still have Gussy. We'll have both...two baby brothers.
Cati: Okay, good.
Then she turned her attention back to the computer, ready to play some Dora or Diego games. I guess something reminded her of him, or the name "Max," or something. It was very sweet and when I retold the story to Louie, he cried, too.
Friday, November 30
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Man, I don't know what to say about that. I'm crying too. Love you all!
Post a Comment