Friday, February 8

Adopt-iversary

Yesterday was our one-year adopt-iversary. There are not enough words to describe how amazing the past year has been with our kids. I could go on and on, but instead, I'll just share with you what I emailed our pastor yesterday. I want him to share a few things during their baptism this Sunday.

"I was wondering if you would mind mentioning that Catalina and Gus were adopted from Guatemala. This weekend is special, not only because of their baptism, but also because it is the one-year-anniversary of their adoption. We love to tell people the stories of their adoption, but it seems like most people focus on the fact that WE adopted THEM. We've been more amazed and honored and blessed in the past year by the fact that Catalina and Gus have truly adopted of us. God has given them the capacity to just melt into our family...to completely love and accept us, as imperfect as we are. Romans 8:15-17 says, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father!' The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together." Catalina and Gus are a daily reminder of that "spirit of adoption" and that we are all adopted into the family of God. We are so thankful."

We have a big, fun weekend ahead of us...tomorrow is their one-year-anniversary of their arrival and citizenship in the U.S., plus their Bibi is coming to visit, Harrison's birthday party is tomorrow, and their baptism is on Sunday! I'll have lots to post next time. Love!

5 comments:

Mellie said...

Abby, what an awesome weekend you have to look forward to with so many blessings to celebrate. It's hard to believe it's been a year. Boy how time flies. Can't wait to see the post about your weekend. Take care.

Love,
Mellie

The Frugal Countess said...

I can't wait to hear about the baptism and see all the pictures! It was great talking to you - I will let you know when we firm our plans up about visiting my mom so we can plan a park date! xoxoxoxoxo

UKNat said...

Congratulations on your adopt-iversary. It's hard to remember life before Cati and Gus.

Have a blessing filled weekend!

We love you all! Nat

Corey said...

Happy adoptiversary!!!
Hope to see party of 5 soon :)

Kara Oosterhous said...

Isn't it wonderful to be blessed and to be a blessing! I think that truely applies to your precious family. Have a wonderful weekend. I remember very clearly when there mommy was baptized... a very special time for me too! Hugs to you all. Love, boo