I just gave baby Max back to the foster family (the foster mom, her mom, her son, but this time they brought the foster mom{s sister and some adorable little girl). I could tell they felt sorry for me, because by the time they got here, I had already cried so much that my face was an almost-purple shade of red and my eyes crazy green and bloodshot. Oh, and I had a steady stream of snot flowing down my face.
The past couple of days were amazing. That little guy adapted so well and I am proud to say he adored me by the end of our time together. This morning we had a good breakfast, then we sat outside and enjoyed a little fresh air. I gave him a quick bottle after I got his things packed and ready to go. I tell you, God is so good in His provisions: Maxito fell asleep while drinking his bottle and it allowed me some really good and cuddly quiet time with him. It was exactly what I needed.
Some of you might have noticed before that I wear the same two necklaces every day of my life, one of which I purchased in Antigua, Guatemala, on May 25, 2006, the day that we met Catalina and Gus. The other necklace is one that Louie gave me for my birthday. It has two pendants on it, each bearing the names of my kiddos. Well, I should say that it HAD two pendants on it. Louie gave me a Max pendant last week, because he wanted me to have it for my trip. When I met the foster family on Friday, I explained to them about the necklace and I said that I wear it so that I can carry him close to my heart everywhere I go. All weekend, Max would grab onto it because it{s shiny silver and it jingles like a bell. This is going to sound so cheesy that it can{t possibly be true, but, trust me, it IS: As I picked up Max to carry him down to the foster family, he didn{t wake up completely, he just opened his eyes and nuzzled into my shoulder and then he grabbed onto my necklace with his left hand. Clearly, this is when my face went from a nice pink shade to the color purple.
My heart is broken over leaving my baby here. I have missed Cati and Gus immeasurably this weekend and I cannot wait to hug and kiss them up when I get home. But, there is no amount of happiness that can change the fact that our family won{t be complete until Max is home.
I am going to try to leave the sad ramblings here in Guatemala and as soon as I get home, all I will focus on is the adorable perfection of my three children. Get ready for an onslaught of pictures, only three or four of which include me. Most are just of that sweet baby boy. May God bless him and keep him safe now and always.
Monday, April 14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Aw, Ab. I wish I could be there to cry with you on the flight home. He'll be home soon and you won't be able (or have time)to remember what it was like without him! At least that's how I feel about Cati and Gus. Love you and can't wait to see the pictures! Nat
I've been thinking all morning about how hard it would be to part with Max - I've been there to see the devastation you go through. I am so glad, though, that you had some good time with Max. Cati & Gus will help to divert your sadness till you're all together. I can't wait to see the pics - wish I had decided to go earlier. Love to you all from Bibi!
oh abby! I can't imagine how hard it was to leave him there today. and how sweet of louie - the story about max grabbing the necklace got me! Still crying..
so glad he got attached to you. It is such a hard age. Parker threw tantrum if I left the room for a seconed at 8 months. So hard for them.
Can't wait to see the pics!
((((((HUGS)))))))) Time is just going to fly by until he's home. Thinking of you tonight. :)
Post a Comment