Wednesday, April 30

Our happy, little two-year-old! (This is a long one. Sorry.)

IMG_0139

I've been meaning to post an update on Gussy since his birthday, just to kind of let you know what's going on with him these days. I always post a lot of pictures, but he's also got lots of vocabulary and personality development going on right now that you don't see in the pics. He had his two-year visit with his pediatrician last week. He is 34.5 inches tall (53%), 24 lbs. (8%), and his body mass index is 14.23 (1%). Translation: he's a string bean, but we already knew that. The doctor was very pleased with his progress as far as weight goes. At least he's ON the growth chart now and he's healthy, so she thinks that's just how he's built. Here's our skinny, little guy showing off some of his birthday gifts:

Tractor

IMG_0168

Both he and Cati were very good during the doctor's visit, so we went out for a treat afterwards. If you ever visit me in Tampa, you will inevitably get to have one of these because they are just the very best iced cookies ever made!

IMG_0290

IMG_0315 IMG_0326

As an infant, Gus was never attached to any one of his toys or blankets. Lately, though, he has become really attached to his blanket, which he calls "bink-bink," and his pillow, which he pronounces "lillow." He won't leave the crib in the morning or lie down for a nap without them. And, sometimes when we leave for errands during the day, he won't leave without the blanket. He holds it up to his face a lot (first picture below). We can't tell if he's kissing it or smelling it. Either way, he loves his bink-bink.

IMG_0263

IMG_0266

He's taking swimming lessons right now. They are not really even swimming lessons, more of a mommy-and-me class to get comfortable in the pool. As soon as he and I start down the steps into the pool, he says, "Out, Mama. All done." He doesn't love the pool, to say the least. He hugs my neck the entire time and doesn't even like to look at anyone else in the class. I can't tell if that's because he's so shy around new people and groups or if it's because he wants out of the water. I feel bad about putting him through it, but he has to get used to the water. He begins his real swim lessons, without me, next week. I'll let y'all know how that one goes!

While Cati is in her swim lessons, Gus and I play on the playground. He is becoming such a little daredevil when it comes to playing and I just can't seem to catch up. He makes me so nervous, but when I try to help him, he gets so frustrated and says either, "No, Mama," and moves my hand away, or "Go, Mama!" or screams at the top of his lungs and turns away (I've got a great video illustrating this that I will post some other day). Even yesterday, I was on the phone with my mom and sitting on our window seat. He asked to come up with me ("Peez, Mama" with his arms raised up...how do you say "no" to that?), but he didn't want to sit next to me. He scooted himself all the way to the other end of the window so that he was doing it all by himself. It's little things like that that tell me my baby boy isn't a baby anymore! Here are some pics of Gussy on the playground during Cati's swim lesson (I'm sneaking one picture in of my beautiful girl at the pool).

IMG_0179

IMG_0192

IMG_0223

IMG_0248

Gussy picks up new words every single day to go along with his newfound freedom. Like I said above, he loves to say "No" or "Go" (as in, "go away!") to his Mama, Papa, and Cici. Occasionally, he says "Please" and "Thank you" without being prompted. It's just the sweetest thing when he says them! Just a month ago, all he could tell me were the names of his favorite cartoons and some of the main characters. Now, he can tell me about the storylines. And, the only video he ever wants to watch is "Elmo's World," which he pronounces "Elmo's Weeeeld." As soon as it's over, he says "Again, Mama. Elmo's Weeeeld, again." He has his favorite songs on the CDs we listen to in the car. As soon as we get in the car, he asks to hear certain ones. More and more personality, every single day. I was only gone to Guatemala for four days, but when I came back he had all these new phrases..."Hi, Mama, how doing?"..."Bye, see you!"..."Hold 'dat, Mama." He learns A LOT from his sister and it's not always good stuff. She says "Doc's so mean" a lot because he barks and she can't hear her cartoon or he steps in the middle of a picnic or a slumber party that she's having with her stuffed animals. Now, when Doc barks, Gus says "Doc-dog mean." Then, one day he came running in the room to tell me, "Mama, Cati mean." That didn't go over well with her or with me. For the most part, though, he and Cati still get along beautifully. She "instructs" him how to play - telling him to be the son, or the dog, or the prince, depending on the storyline she's got going on in her head - and he does exactly what she says. Oh, and the more and more vocal that Gus gets, the louder and louder my house gets, screaming and laughing and singing and running, all day long. It's a joyful noise, for sure!!

IMG_0155

Okay, sorry that this is so long, but I could talk about my babies all day long if you let me. Have a good day!

3 comments:

Jenny (Twin Mommy!!!) said...

I love the gus update! But more congrats on the 1/2. I don't know how you find time to do it. I can't even imagine.

Gus is so cute I have to say I am not looking forward to the day my to start 'tattling' on each other. yikes!

The Frugal Countess said...

Gussy is just the most precious thing!! I can't believe he is such a big boy!! When Maxito gets home your two boys are going to keep you on your toes!! (Cati will keep them in line I bet though! ;-)

UKNat said...

Pweese, Abby, take you to get cookie. PWEESE.

That's how Ford would say it. Really, you HAVE to take us to get one of those cookies when we come to Tampa!