Wednesday, July 23

My second trip to visit Max

Well, I realize that only a few of you were aware of this, but I took an impromptu trip to Guatemala this past weekend. The foster family emailed us the previous weekend to say "hello" and to share a few photos of our sweet boy. They said that he had been to the doctor recently and that he was perfectly healthy and weighed 19 pounds. They said he was growing out of his clothes and asked if I would mind bringing him some more clothes the next time I came to visit...well, let me tell you, there are not many things that I can do for that baby from afar, except pray for him. But, when the foster family says that he needs new clothes, now, that's something I can do. The desperate, emotional adopting mama in me immediately wanted to rush down there and my darling husband agreed. When we looked at the calendar, it was either last weekend, or a month-and-a-half later. I did a little digging and found that I could fly down on a Delta Skymiles ticket (with a little help from a friend, thank you, my dear!), I could stay there using Marriott Rewards points, and my mom could fly back to Tampa on an inexpensive ticket to help Louie with the kids. So, it just worked out. I made the decision on Wednesday night, made the travel arrangements on Thursday morning, my mom arrived Thursday evening, and I was with Max in Guatemala on Friday afternoon.

Speaking of baby Max, he is a beautiful, sweet, happy child. I know that I am biased, but I really do believe he's one of the sweetest and happiest little babies I've ever met, just like his brother was at that age. He didn't cry this time when he left the foster family. I did, though, because when they walked up to meet me in the lobby of the hotel, Max was sleeping. I looked at his sweet face and he looked just like Catalina when she is sleeping. It was so powerful - it hit me like a ton of bricks! - seeing that resemblence and how obvious it is that they (Cati, Gus, and Max) belong together.

I'm short on time right now, so I will only post a couple of pictures, but I will try to post before the end of the week with more photos and information on our little angel.

Friday evening, before bedtime:

IMG_1954

Monday morning, after breakfast:

IMG_2179

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh... I am so glad you got to go! What a wonderful "last minute" trip!! They ask... you provide! He is precious (just like his brother and sister)! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. May he come home soon ...
Hugs,
ge

Kara Oosterhous said...

Ab:

My heart is rejoicing and breaking for you right now. Max is beautiful as is his mama. Know that I am praying for you, your family, and especially baby Max. I hope that the visit will give you renewed strength as the waiting game continues. I will be anticipating the latest update. Keep the faith my friend... we both know God is faithful and his timing is perfect... may he continue to give you peace and patience in abundance. I don't know how you do it. You AND your family are amazing... I must say that Louie is a very special man and of course you know I think he has a really special wife! Love, boo

Jenny (Twin Mommy!!!) said...

Yay! I am so excited for you that you got to visit, although I know that each visit makes things harder and harder. He is a precious little boy and is so lucky to have you as a momma! Love you! Jenny

UKNat said...

I can't get over how much he looks like Catalina! I'm so happy that you were able to go spend a little bit of time with him. Praying that he will be home with his family very, very soon. Love you, Nat