Friday, August 15

Preschool & Pre-K Visits

Catalina and Gus are starting pre-k and preschool, respectively, next week. I've been so excited about Catalina starting school. She's ready. She's bored with me. She needs more stimulation than I can offer her. Gussy, on the other hand, I've been a bit of a wreck over him. I'm not ready for him be away from me, even if only for two mornings a week. I know it's the best thing for him, though, and that's what will get me through the next few weapy weeks.

Yesterday, we went to an open house at his preschool. As soon as we walked in the door of his classroom and were greeted by his teachers, Gussy could tell that something wasn't right and he started crying. We weren't even leaving him there, just visiting. It was pitiful.

IMG_2615

IMG_2617

After a little while, though, he started to feel more comfortable and even followed Cati around as she ripped through the room, playing with every single toy she could find.

IMG_2619

Then, he went back to being sad for a little while, before finally coming out of it and playing on his own.

IMG_2625

IMG_2635

His teachers are very sweet and two of his friends, Harrison and Roy, are in his class, so I think that once he gets past the first month or so, he is really going to enjoy school. And, I think I will enjoy my six free hours a week, once I see that he is okay with it all.

Cati's open house was today. I had paperwork that I was filling out the whole time, so we didn't get as many pictures of her. She was definitely nervous at first. She wouldn't say "hi" or smile at her teacher and, when Louie asked her to say "hello" to a little boy in her class, she just turned away from him. After a few minutes, she seemed to warm up to the whole thing and, by the end, she was sad to be going home. Gus, again, was overwhelmed by all the new people and places, bless his little heart. He cried a few times, though he did make time to play with some of the cool things in Cati's new classroom.

IMG_2638

Her teacher, Miss Kathy, peaking in on them:

IMG_2642

Oh, and we figured out that a little girl, Libby, that Catalina met and played with at Harrison's birthday party is in her class(pictures below).

IMG_7086

IMG_6960

I'm glad that south Tampa is such a small world because the connection seemed to really please Catalina. Plus, I'm so excited that Gussy has friends in his class. I know that Catalina will excel in school. I'm not one bit worried about her. And, I'm going to hang in there with Gussy because I know that this experience will be good for him. Check in next week for first day pictures and stories. Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

amyj said...

On the first day, you have to just walk out even if he's crying when you drop him off. You can wait outside the door to make sure he calms down, but you have to let him go. It's metaphorical, isn't it? But you just gotta do it. It's really hard, and you'll cry, but you're right, it will be so good for him to be there a few hours each week. And you'll enjoy going to the grocery store all alone! And you can pick him up early. :)

UKNat said...

Aw, Ab. It is hard to leave them for the first time. Gus may cry every time you drop him off. But, the more he goes, the less he'll cry. Hang in there. It will be good for both of you. You will quickly find that three hours isn't really that long! I think you're right about Cati. She's going to love it! Love, Nat

Kara Oosterhous said...

Ab:
Uggh... leaving them both will be so hard at first... but once you see how much they love it you are going to enjoy those few hours "me time" that you will have. They are precious kids and you will watch them blossom before your very eyes once the enter school! KMO