Monday, September 22

Happy birthday to me!!

I turned 34 yesterday, so, to celebrate, I competed in my first sprint triathlon (.3 mile swim, followed by an 11 mile bike, and a 3.1 mile run). It took place in Clearwater on Sand Key. My times were average on the swim and the run and bad on the bike, but I enjoyed every single minute of them all! Really, it was even more fun than I expected. My only goals were to finish 1) without hurting myself or anyone else and 2) without having to walk in either the bike or run portions (and I have to admit a third, secret goal...without finishing in last place). I was successful in all three, so it was a perfect race in my book. And, it was a wonderful way to spend my birthday. It was my birthday present to myself (the training and the race itself) and my birthday present from my family (the entrant's fee, my bike shoes, my new goggles, and, most importantly, the time I spent training). Louie has been so supportive and encouraging. The training required a commitment from him, too, and I couldn't have done it without him. Oh, and my triathlon suit (which our friend, Milton, called a triathlon onesie!) was a birthday gift from my parents. So, it was really a team effort!

Here are the pictures from the race. It was a beautiful day, not too sunny or hot. Just right. I had to get up early to get there and set up my gear. Louie and the kids got there right before the beginning of the swim. I was so excited when I saw them. I ran up to them on the beach and it took few seconds for Gussy to recognize his mama underneath the swim cap and goggles!

IMG_3765

The beginning of the sixth wave of the swim:

IMG_3783

The middle of the swim:

IMG_3791

The end of the swim (that's me running through the spectators):

IMG_3795

This picture doesn't show me or my bike or anything, but I just like it. It's the transition area while many of the bikes are being ridden.

IMG_3797

At the very beginning of the bike course, I heard my name being called and looked up to see two of my smiling friends, Alexis and Merritt, hanging out of their sunroof and holding a huge sign. It was a wonderful surprise! Then, later on the bike course, I heard my name again and saw Mindy and Milton waving out of their car. They were on their way to the finish line to meet Louie and the kids, but they got stuck in traffic at just the right time to see me. It was very encouraging to see my friends during my least favorite part of the race (the bike)!

Merritt and Alexis's sign hanging in our family room:

IMG_3860

Also in the picture above is another bit of encouragement from a friend...sweet Mary Ann, not being able to cheer me on in person since she lives in Nashville, sent cowbells for the kids to ring. Painted on them were the words, "Go Mom, Sand Key Tri, 9-21-08." You can see Gussy's cowbell in the photo below.

IMG_3799

Here I am at the end of the bike course. I was so glad to see my family! Again this time, it took Gus a couple of seconds to recognize me with my helmet and sunglasses on the bike. As I was riding away, I got a big smile and wave. Cati, of course, was cheering and ringing her cowbell and waving the whole time. So sweet!

IMG_3839

Here I am after I reracked my bike, changed my shoes, and headed off for the run. Look at how different the transition area looks with the bikes. I love this picture. I thought that Louie did a great job taking pictures, as well as keeping the kids entertained. I'm so thankful for him!

IMG_3824

Here's the finish line. As much fun as I had, I was definitely glad to see the end!!

IMG_3827

Cati and Gus were so adorable and excited! They ran up to me when they saw me, but then Cati decided that she didn't actually want to touch me, as sweaty as I was!

IMG_3833

My cheering section (Alexis, Merritt, Cati, Ali, Milton, and Mindy...Gus and Louie were taking the picture):

IMG_3836

My family...again, couldn't possibly have done it without them!

IMG_3840

After a big breakfast, a long shower, and a short nap, Merritt kindly babysat the kids while Louie and I went out for a birthday dinner. It was really the perfect way to end my birthday! Here we are on our grown-up date:

IMG_3858 IMG_3859

It was a wonderful, perfect day, but I already know how to top it next year...by celebrating it with my sweet Louie, Cati, Gussy, AND Maxito!!

3 comments:

stmclaughlin said...

Wow, for my birthday, I just kinda wanted to sleep in. I feel like a slacker.

Congrats, it's definitely very impressive!

Happy Birthday. (I can't believe you are 34, man, that's old)

The Williams said...

You are amazing! I am so proud of you. You are such an encouragement to others and your sweet family! Oh yeah...you looked fabulous in the suit...I wouldn't be caught dead in it! Glad you had a great day.

Matt said...

I'm so happy for your great birthday! You're setting the bar pretty high for only 34. You might be getting youreslf into some trouble. You might have to do a full iron man before you know it.

I'm sorry I didn't send you anything. I've still got some Sister-in-law vintage cards saved up from the Beehive!

Love,
Jules