Sunday, October 5

Soccer and Star Wars

Our Saturday (yesterday) was busy with Cati activities, a soccer game and a birthday party. Soccer this year has been interesting. She was excited about it and said that she wanted to play, but now that the season has started, she tells me frequently that she's not very happy/excited about soccer. She also asks how much longer until she won't have to play anymore. It's hard to tell whether she dislikes it because it's a new endeavor (we tried it last year and she wasn't ready) or whether she is just not meant to play soccer. Time will tell, I guess.

Yesterday was their first game. In general, she was nervous and tentative, right down to her body language, but there were a few times when she looked like she might be enjoying herself. And, she was much more excited about the Nemo gummy snacks she received after the game than she was about the game itself.

Can't you tell how nervous she was?

IMG_4018

This is cute, their coach had just asked them which goal was theirs:

IMG_4039

In the middle of the action:

IMG_4053

So sweet:

IMG_4056

Gus wanted to play soccer with the team, saying "Want run, pay soccer, that way," pointing toward the field, so Louie kept him busy elsewhere.

IMG_4083

After lunch and a nap, Cati and I attended her classmate's Star Wars themed birthday party. The invitation said to come in costume, so we did our best with what we had, and it turned out really cute!!

IMG_4096

Her costume was a hit at the party. Lots of the boys dressed-up, but only a few of the girls. She had a ton of fun, especially with the play swords.

IMG_4143

IMG_4131

In this picture, Will is asking Cati and Livi to play Star Wars with him:

IMG_4159

They said "no":

IMG_4161

Popcorn, Caprisun, cupcakes, and pizza...Livi threw up in the front yard about thirty minutes later:

IMG_4163

The kids waiting for the special guest to arrive, the special guest, and then Cati's response:

IMG_4178

IMG_4180

IMG_4191

I was so excited that she thought he was silly. I feel like only a few months ago she would have been afraid of him. Anyway, she had a great time and I really enjoyed watching her play and laugh with the kids in her class. She seems to be settling into things so well. Oh, one day last week when I picked her up, we were walking out of school with Livi and her mom. Catalina waited for a break in the conversation and then asked Livi's mom, "Maybe someday after school we could have a playdate." Livi's mom and I both said, "Awww, of course." Then, Catalina asked Livi, "Does that sound like a good idea to you?" I couldn't believe how brave she was, asking that on her own. I was amazed! Later that week, Livi's mom substituted in their class. She told me at the party last night that Catalina does really well on the playground and seems to be getting along great. She said that Cati seems more mature than the others and that might be why she was having trouble at first. It made me feel good to hear her perspective. I'm so proud of our girl!

I've got some cute videos from the past week or so that I'll share next posting. Also, Gussy is in a funny stage right now. It's interesting how quickly they move from one phase to the next. I'll fill you in next time.

2 comments:

Matt said...

I love her Princess Lea buns! She looked awesome!

LOve,
JUles

Lessen Family said...

Cati soooo looks like Princess Leia! And not scared of Darth Vader...he still scares me ;o)
They're growing up fast! Take Care!