Tuesday, February 10

Cajun Country, Cont'd

On Saturday, the 31st, our friends, Scott and Melissa, were married. Bibi stayed with the kids while we attended the wedding and reception. Then, on Sunday morning, I ran the Mardi Gras half marathon. I took it really slow because it was a training run for the Gasparilla half on March 1. The course in New Orleans was so nice and flat and interesting. I loved it! After the run, I met up with Louie, Bibi, and the kids and we went out for a big, yummy lunch!

Here we are on Bourbon Street, on the way to lunch:

NOLA022

And, this is Catalina’s first-ever bite of crawfish (she loved it!):

NOLA026

We spent the afternoon at the Audubon Insecterium. If you’re in New Orleans with your kids for a visit, you should really check it out. We had a great time!

NOLA029

NOLA037

NOLA043

This part will surprise (or maybe disgust!) some of you…there was a chef that prepared crickets and mealworms for visitors to taste. All of us, except for baby Max, tried the crickets! They were crunchy and salty, like sunflower seeds. Bibi and I tried the mealworms, which tasted like pork rinds (or the way that I remember them tasting/smelling).

NOLA051

NOLA058

NOLA064

After our exciting trip to the insecterium, we went back to the hotel for a low-key evening. Our dear friend, Bert, was traveling cross-country and just happened to be able to stop for the night in New Orleans to visit with us. He and Louie had a great time watching the Super Bowl and hanging out in the French Quarter on Sunday night. Bert also joined us for a short street car ride on Monday morning.

NOLA005

NOLA006

Bert and the gang before we headed home:

NOLA015

And, of course, they ended the trip the same way they started it, with Gussy’s favorite movie, “Horton Any Who!”

NOLA019

More soon. Lots of love!!

No comments: