Wednesday, January 9

Max Update

**Y'all know that I'm not the most in-the-know mama this time around, but the following is my best understanding of what's going on right now in the world of Guatemalan adoptions. If you're reading this post and you have any inside info that I don't know about, please let me know!**

As you might know, the Guatemalan government has been ‘threatening’ major changes in its international adoption process for some time now. We, like thousands of other American families, have been very concerned about how those changes, if realized, would affect our adoption. Many of you were kind enough to contact your senators and representatives in October regarding the "Ortega Law," which was initially expected to slow down or stop Guatemalan adoptions as of December 31, 2007. Many people thought that even in-process adoptions would cease as of year-end.

When the law was finally passed in December, it included amendments that appear to allow for the completion of adoptions that were in-process as of December 31, 2007. To be eligible for “grandfather” status, an in-process adoption must be registered with the Guatemalan "Central Authority;" however, the Central Authority hasn’t been created yet.

It looks like things will be on hold until the Guatemalan government works out the logistics of the new law. Despite the changes and delays, we are still confident that we will be able to complete baby Max’s adoption. We are in this for the long haul, so even if it takes us two years, we’ll get him home.

I'll leave you with a recent photo (taken in December at 15 weeks old) of Cati and Gus's perfect and adorable baby brother. We hope to visit him in Guatemala soon, but we're still working out the details. Please continue to pray for our family and this adoption, but even more importantly, please pray for Max and his foster family.

BabyBoy

4 comments:

The Frugal Countess said...

Right now the only thing technically on hold is the submission of new cases (or cases that have been KO'd) to the PGN. I think you guys are still in good shape (are you still waiting on PA)?

I have heard that the registration authority will be up and running (for registrations - not the the whole shebang) in the next few weeks.

I really don't think you are going to be affected that much - maybe a few weeks delay at the most. I think once you get in PGN you are going to fly through and get that baby home in plenty of time to blow his candles out on his birthday cake.

((((((((HUGS)))))))))) We're praying for baby Max every day around here! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

The Frugal Countess said...

I forgot to say DANG THAT IS A GORGEOUS BABY!! :)

Fraser said...

What a cutie! Can't wait til he is home with his big bro and sis! Praying for you all...

Corey said...

HE IS SO CUTE!!!
Please email me... there is some agency issues I would like to make you aware of
Corey
cgaynes@gmail.com