Wednesday, August 20

Cici's second day at school, Gussy's first dental appointment, and new photos of baby Max

Big day today. Catalina had a great second day of school ever. Yesterday was cancelled due to the storm (it never even rained here!), so Gussy's first day will be tomorrow. He has certainly enjoyed accompanying his Cici to her school (below). He knows her teacher's name and happily says "Hi" and "Bye" and "Have a good day" when we're dropping her off. We've been talking up his school a lot, and he has been sweetly mumbling all morning about "Cati's school" and "Gussy's school ah-morrow."

IMG_2707

Please note his mismatched Crocs!

IMG_2710

After we dropped Cati off, we went to the gym. I think that the saddest thing about Cati starting school - for me, anyway - is seeing Gussy playing alone in the Y's nursery and playground. Usually they are stuck together like glue, so it makes me feel awful to see him by himself. He cried today when I dropped him off at the nursery, but I snuck a peek through the window a few minutes later and he had stopped by then. He started back up when he saw me coming to get him. I guess I reminded him that he was sad. Poor buddy, lots of changes this week.

Because of all those changes and because his general fussiness in the waiting room ("That way, Mama. Home. Home, peeeezzzzz, Mama!?"), I thought that his first dentist appointment would be a disaster. I sincerely thought that he would scream and cry the entire time. I warned them, in fact, and they told me that they've seen it all. So, imagine my surprise when he didn't even whimper, followed instructions to a "t," and even commented on the taste of the toothpaste ("Mmmm, cherry," he said!). I was completely, positively shocked. The hygienist said he was the best two-year-old they've seen in a very long time. The dentist said he was the best he's seen all year. Utter, complete shock, people. I have no idea where this behavior came from. When I walked in, I thought I'd be crying along with him. Instead, I walked out crying over what a big, brave boy he was!

Speaking of big boys and Mama crying, we received a few new pictures of baby Max yesterday. They were taken on August 14th and he looks like he has grown and changed since I saw him less than a month before. The foster family is so sweet to check in with us. Their email said that he is happy and constantly trying to walk on his own, though he hasn't been able to do it successfully yet. His first birthday is only eight days away. There are no words to describe how much we wish that child were home with us, but if he can't be with us, I am so thankful that he is with his lovely foster family. They will make his first birthday very special, I know that without a doubt.

HPIM1423

HPIM1431

HPIM1427

Look at that sweet, sweet boy. Please pray that his adoption will proceed quickly and successfully and that God will watch over him in the meantime.

2 comments:

UKNat said...

I thought the same thing about Cati's teacher! That picture looks like your mom. I know she will be a great teacher already b/c she asked them what job they would have at the circus and them made that cute poster! Yeah, Cati!

I'm so proud of Gus at the dentist! What a brave boy!

Max is precious. I'm still praying. Please call me and give me updates. Love and miss you! Natalie

Lessen Family said...

Hope Matt does as well at the dentist as Gus! I have 3 more months till they both go. I'm already preparing for it...