Saturday, August 23

My babies.

Apparently, after I did my driveby on Thursday morning, Gussy perked right up and was amazing all morning long. Even when I picked him up, he saw me, and, instead of crying, he smiled his huge, squinty smile and ran/hopped across the room to me. The teacher said he smiled and laughed and was in a great mood after he got over the initial "hump" when we dropped him off.

I really wasn't expecting things to go so well. At first, it kind of made me sad, like Gussy didn't need me anymore. He has always been a "mama's boy" (except for that three-week period in July when he preferred Louie over me) so, it hurt my feelings that he wasn't pacing the floors and pining for me during his first day of school. Then, I remembered all that attachment and bonding stuff that I learned from all my adoption books and I remembered that Gussy wouldn't have done so well if he hadn't been properly attached to his family. The thought of that, after everything we've been through, makes me overwhelmingly happy and proud and not one bit sad anymore. He just feels safe and trusts that I will come back for him, so he's free to have fun and learn from the world around him. That is beautiful thing, don't you think?

Okay, also on Thursday, Catalina and I were talking about her day at school. She mentioned the playground and then said that no one played with her. Ugh. To hear your beautiful, perfect-in-every-way daughter say something like that feels like a knife in the heart. What? No one played with you? I told her that maybe the other kids were just shy and that she didn't have to wait for them. She could just go over and start playing with them or ask them to play. She said, "But, won't they say 'No?'" Double-ugh. What on earth do you say to that? Seriously, what do I say to that? I need advice. I did my best and have been encouraging her about it ever since, but I can't stand the thought of her having low self-esteem. Plus, I want everyone she ever meets in her entire life to love and adore her as much as we do. Is that too much to ask?

Here are my babies on the last day of their first week of school. We were running late, so I didn't wash my face, brush my teeth, or change my shirt. A hat and flip-flops and we managed to get there only two minutes late for Cati's class. (For future reference, it's probably not a good idea to get too close to me if you run into me dropping my kids at school). Look how cute my babies are, though!

IMG_2758

IMG_2771

I guess maybe when we're running late, I shouldn't take time out for pictures. Anyway, after naps, we had the McCraws over for playtime/happy hour. Roy is in Gussy's preschool class, so it's exciting to think about them developing their friendship at school and interacting like big boys!

IMG_2796

Roy's baby brother, Cabe, is adorable and a really good baby. Mac and Beth were kind enough to let Cati hold Cabe. She was so nervous and conscientious that she wouldn't even crack a smile while she was holding him.

IMG_2785

IMG_2786

Then, Roy (so cute!) wanted Catalina to hold him!!

IMG_2788

Hanging out with friends was such a great way to end our week. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

1 comment:

Jenny (Twin Mommy!!!) said...

Oh dear - I am so terrified of our first day. We are starting one day a week next week. yikes! It is going to be tough and I am sure I will have a few drive bys myself. : )

I am glad it got better that quickly.