Our trip yesterday was fine. We had a strange delay in Tampa...when we arrived at the airport bright and early at 4 a.m., there was no one at the Delta counter to check-in international flights. Oh, there were THREE people working the self check-in kiosks and they couldn't be bothered to help us, except to say that the people would be back at our counter in 45 minutes when they were done with their staff meeting. I was mad as a snake and called Delta to complain, but when they tried to get in touch with someone at our airport on the other line, they couldn't get through either. Everything worked itself out eventually, but we spent those 45 minutes making friends with the nicest people in line. Seriously, we loved them and got their email addresses to stay in touch. And, when the line started moving again, they let us go in front of them. Won't surprise you that I cried at their gesture.
Then, we had a 1 1/2 hour delay in Atlanta due to fog. They couldn't tell us this when we were still in the airport. Apparently, they needed to board the plane and have us sit there in hot, cramped quarters on the runway for the next 90 minutes. Sometimes I just don't understand. Well, actually, I do...someone just reminded me the other day about how Satan tries to wreak havoc on our faith in God's perfect plan everyday. He was trying his best yesterday, but nothing could spoil the miracle of our boy coming home!
Okay, so, despite a couple of delays, we made it here safe and sound. Max and the foster family arrived around 3:30 p.m. The first thing they did was set him down on the floor to show us how well he can walk. But, poor thing, he wasn't sure what he was supposed to do. He just kept looking back and forth between them and us, looking like he might burst into tears any second. Then, the foster family set a ball in front of him and he laughed and immediately started to kick it and then chase after it. Of course, I saw the light go on in Louie's mind...a soccer star in the making! Our sweet foster mom, Julieta, was really upset. She kept crying and I kept apologizing. Honestly, I'm glad that she had this response because it just shows how much she really, genuinely loved him all this time. We may not know much about their birth family, but we sure can tell our son that he was loved and cared for incredibly well by his foster family in Guatemala. Still, I hate it that it has to be this way, that their hearts have to be broken. It was really sad, but, Gustavo, their son, laughed and said in Spanish, "Don't cry, Mom, we're coming back for lunch on Monday!" So, we'll see them then and I'm sure it will be a sob-fest.
Sweet Max is absolutely perfect. Like I said, he is just walking all over the place. He's really like a little wind-up doll, waddling back and forth, back and forth all the time. You can tell he's really proud of himself! And, he's just so funny and happy. We could tell it took a few hours for him to warm up to us completely, but then at dinner last night, we definitely got a glimpse of his funny, little personality. Oh, and he's at that stage where he thinks it is funny to throw his cup from the high chair over and over again. I forgot about that one...fun the first 20 times, then gets a little old.
As happy and thankful as I am to here with Max and to be bringing him home to our family, I am feeling pretty homesick. I miss Catalina and Gus so much. I was pretty teary last night, especially since I talked to Cati at supper time and she was so sad and crying that she couldn't even talk. She had to give the phone back to Bibi after three words. Ugh, that has been hard to get over. She was fine when we talked again before bed, but it was hard to hear and harder to forget. I knew that I would be this way. A few days before our trip, I started crying everytime I thought about being away from Cati and Gus. Wise and brilliant Catalina asked me, "But, Mama, aren't you happy about bringing home baby Max?" Then, she said, "Don't worry about us, Bibi will take really good care of us." She amazes me. The fact that she can think through my emotions and say exactly what I needed to hear, it just amazes me. Then, the night before we left, I was telling her goodnight and goodbye and got upset again. She said, "Mama, you have to trust me, Bibi will take good care of us. Nothing will happen. God won't let anything happen. Do you trust God, Mama?" Well, yes, I guess I do. She reminded me that all of this has been in God's hands all along. He has known since the beginning of time that these kids belonged together and nothing - I mean, nothing! - has been able to thwart His plan. So, I need to carry out that plan and bring Maxito home to his family. And, I thank God for using my brilliant little girl to remind me of that.
Okay, sorry to ramble on and on. Just relaying that story to you has made me feel better about being here. We love you all! Keep praying for the rest of our trip. I wish that I could make you understand how excited I am to introduce Catalina and Gus to their baby brother. Oh, I can't wait. Okay, have a great weekend and I'll post more when I can. Love!
Saturday, November 15
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I'm really happy for you guys! Can't wait to meet Max! That part about what Cati said to you when you were putting her to bed got to me a little bit. You know, us guys don't tear up, but all I'm saying it is got to me. ;) What a wise little girl.
Cati is precious. And, so are your boys. I'm continuing to pray...for you and the foster family.
Oh Abby you've got him!! I'm so glad you made it - sounds like a pretty frustrating trip down there though. But I'm sure getting your delicious baby man was worth the headache.
I know you must be missing your babies terribly. How wonderful it will be when all 3 of them are together forever and you never have to be apart from them (unless you need to for sanity reasons! ;-)
Can't wait to hear more updates - and pictures of your sweet Maxito! He is going to do great - sounds like he's not grieving too terribly much - God is providing all the way to the end. (((((HUGS))) I'm so excited for you, Mama!
Just think, you will be home with your 3 little bears in no time! Your family is complete. ILY! boo
So happy and excited for you! I hope the trip home will be a better for ya'll -- hang in there, girl. What a beautiful crew!!
Post a Comment